Meeting of the Library Trustees
Ossipee Public Library
Monday, December 10, 2018
Present: Denise Castile, John Mingori, Linda Hale, Maria Moulton, Alison Hayford
Meeting called to order at 12:45pm
Next meeting: Monday, January 14th at 12:45pm
Secretary’s Report: reviewed, accepted (JM, DC)
Treasurer’s Report: reviewed. We discussed the availability of money from appropriated funds and what we project will be left over. We will continue this discussion when Judy is with us.
We discussed the “donation” check. Maria has made an inquiry to the bank about the check received. We will not be able to accept the money until a special hearing has taken place.
Accepted (JM, AH)
Director’s Report: We reviewed the report. Denise and Maria caught us up on the progress on replacing chairs and getting rid of some of the folding. Maria will post the holiday closings.
Report accepted (JM,DC)
We anticipate that 40 new stackable, padded chairs will cost about $2,400.
Maria will look into dimensions of stackable chairs to be sure they can fit in the alcove, and the room. Denise is working on giving another trolley of folding chairs to the Ossipee Town Hall and will donate the two large chairs in the meeting room. Excess folding chairs could be stored in the basement. We would like to pass along the red folding chairs and keep the light blue.
Denise expressed a desire to rid the meeting room of excess furniture and equipment and have the space defined as a meeting/presentation room.
Alison suggested purchasing a comfortable set of chairs or love seat to replace the adult sized table and chair in the children’s area. We will discuss this at a later date.
John made a motion to authorize Maria to spend up to $4,000 to purchase 40 stackable, padded chairs. Motion passes (JM, LH)
Check received: Maria read the letter she sent to Wells Fargo inquiring about the check received. She will let us know when she gets a response.
Our library assistants do not qualify to be salaried employees under federal law.
Library employees are employees at will. John felt we should discuss as a board if we want to continue to have employees work at will.
John moved that we authorize Maria to go to the town and tell them that our two salaried employees will be working hourly starting January 1, 2019. (JM, DC)
Maria drafted a policy for hourly employees and it was discussed. The board would like employees to be provided a written statement of the change to hourly pay and sign signatures of receipt. Maria will email the board the town’s employment policies. We will discuss the change of policy in our January meeting giving us a chance to review Maria’s suggested additions.
Denise brought up the need to write a warrant article in 2020 for carpeting. This will be a large project and require professional movers and also provides an opportunity to redesign the space. In anticipation of requesting money for new carpet, Denise suggested adding a line in our budget next year to have more presentations and programs in the meeting room. She suggested hosting monthly presentations or programs. We discussed being an important community gathering space and the need to promote what we do and get more people into the library.
Alison suggested exporting the idea of hiring a professional designer give us feedback on how we are using the space.
John suggested we talk more about how our library serves the community and promote events. He feels we need to take projects on as a board and not put it on Maria alone.
John suggested we explore other options for bookshelves and space design.
Ali suggested we join the Friends as a way to take on more projects and programs. She offered to take on a role promoting events, specifically through Instagram.
John made a motion to adjourn. (Second DC) 2:11pm.
Adjourned at 2:11pm