Library Trustee’s Meeting April 10, 2018
Call to Order: 12:34
Present: Maria Moulton, John Mingori, Judy Perry, Denise Castle, Alison Hayford, Dolores Connolly
Next meeting: Friday, May 11 @ 3:30pm
Secretary’s report: accepted. (JM/JP)
Treasurer’s report: accepted (JM/DC)
Judy reviewed the report and noted the negative in the Library revenue line and explained that money is being dispersed into the local donations line item. There is 6,182.16 in local donations.
John made a motion that we move $20,000 from the Wells Fargo account to be placed in the Library Revenue account. (JM/DC)
We discussed the Wells Fargo account and the decision to spend it down over the next two years.
John submitted the contract for Karen Anthony to the town.
Library Director’s Report: Highlights included a reminder of the NHLTA spring conference on May 14, building and maintenance education and repairs to be done (sidewalk repair and tree removal), and upcoming events (classical education talk, AARP tax prep, a poetry party on the 30th and a basic computer skills class). The library has added a pass to Canterbury Shaker Village.
Policy procedure: We are encouraged to add a sexual harassment policy. Maria will email a copy of the town’s policy so we can either adopt that policy for the library or edit to suit our needs.
Maria will ask Brad about them and remind them of the need to remove trees and repair the sidewalk. We discussed handicap accessibility and the hazards of the walkway. Alison suggested an automatic door, but the cost is high. Adding a buzzer was discussed as a way to let librarians know if a patron needed help with the doors.
John moved to accept the report. Motion was seconded and approved.
New Computers: Maria will be ordering two new circulation computers and anticipates that they will cost between $600-700 a piece. Monitors would be about $200 a piece. She hopes to continue to use the barcode scanner and other check out equipment with the new computers. She will need to pay an IT specialist (Michael) about $200 to help set up computers. She will discuss with Michael what she should get. John asked that she meet and get more information from Michael about the costs and email us an estimate.
Sick/leave vacation policy
The town has changed their policy to total hours per year for combined sick, vacation, and personal hours. We discussed moving to match the town’s policy instead of separating the sick, personal and vacation time. Currently all of the vacation and sick time is available at the start of the year. We discussed the benefit of having hours available up front vs. accruing time as you work. Maria explained that the town policy allows workers to use some hours of leave time before they have earned it. Maria will write a draft to change sick/vacation/personal time to
leave time available on January 1. John asked that we divide the hours equally by 12 to prorate the leave time based on when an employee begins work in the library.
We are asked to consider the following questions to discuss over email and at our next meeting.
* Do we want to change the sick/leave vacation time for new hires?
* If we move to leave time, how much is carried over year to year?
New Business: Review and update our policies
Maria changed the petty cash account to $600 and the names of the trustees. She will send us all a copy of the policies with those changes. We will all review the policies to see what changes might need to be discussed or changed. The leave time will be discussed separately. Judy reminded us that the state needs to have a copy of our policies. Maria will look into the requirements for the state library.
We discussed getting baby changing tables for the bathrooms. Maria and Alison checked out the bathrooms to think about where they might fit. It seems a vertical table may fit. Maria expressed concern that they be installed properly and safely. We will look into measurements of tables and rules about accessing doors in the bathroom.
We further discussed handicap accessibility. Maria will invite Brad and a selectman to our next meeting (or a separate meeting) to discuss possible changes to make the outside easier to navigate with a wheelchair or walker. We considered perhaps making a drop off area at the side main entrance and adjusting the sidewalk to the parking lot. With sidewalks being built this may be a good opportunity to consider remodeling our sidewalks.
Craig Brady from the Recreation Department is forming an advisory committee and asked for a nomination. Please send names of interested people to John.
Meeting adjourned at 2:12pm.